Augmented reality (AR) is an interactive experience of a real-world environment that is enhanced by computer-generated perceptual information, such as sound, video, graphics or GPS data. Meanwhile, AI is a form of computer science that enables machines to process large amounts of data and use it to make decisions, solve problems and improve their accuracy and performance over time.
When used together, AR and AI can create immersive and interactive experiences. For example, an app developer could use AR and AI to create a virtual assistant that can recognize objects, recognize faces, and interact with users in a natural and human-like way. With AI, the virtual assistant can understand user intent and provide personalized recommendations or recommendations based on previous user behavior.
Additionally, AI can be used to analyze user data to optimize the user experience. For instance, AI can be used to detect anomalies in user input and suggest alternative actions or provide additional information. AI can also be used to identify objects in an AR environment and provide context-sensitive information or suggestions.
By combining AR and AI, app developers can create powerful and engaging experiences that are tailored to each user. This combination of technologies can be used to create unique and engaging experiences that are both enjoyable and efficient.
For example, in Snapchat lenses, users can overlay various digital elements, such as facial features and effects, over their face in real time. In Pokemon Go, users can locate, capture, battle, and train virtual characters in the real world.
AI is used in applications such as robotics, natural language processing, image recognition, and data analysis.
Self-driving cars use a combination of sensors and computer vision to detect their surroundings, while chess-playing computers are able to analyze a large number of moves and determine the best one for the given situation. Both of these applications rely heavily on algorithms and big data to create an artificial intelligence that can make decisions quickly and accurately.
Here are a few top AR apps that are doing wonders with AI:
- Nike Adapt BB: This app is used by basketball players to customize their shoe fit using AI-based algorithms. It uses sensors to detect pressure and adjust the shoe's fit accordingly.
- AR Shopping: AR Shopping is an augmented reality shopping app that uses AI to recognize and recommend products to users. It allows users to view products in 3D and get detailed product information.
- IKEA Place: This app uses AI to recognize objects in a room and suggest matching products to complete the look. It also uses AR to help users see how their chosen products will look in their space.
- Google Lens: Google Lens is an AI-powered app that uses augmented reality to recognize objects and provide relevant information about them. It can also be used to translate text, scan barcodes, and more.
- Holo: Holo is an AI-based AR app that allows users to create 3D holograms of people, places, and objects. It can also be used to create interactive experiences in the real world.
- ClipDrop: With ClipDrop, users can copy text, images, and other digital media from one device and paste it in another. The app uses the phone's camera and computer vision to recognize and scan the content and then transfer it to the desired destination. It also features a variety of editing tools, making it easy to customize the content before pasting it. ClipDrop is available on both iOS and Android devices and is free to use.
- ThirdEye Gen: ThirdEye’s X2 MR Glasses are a standalone augmented reality headset that enables enterprise teams to keep their hands free while completing everyday operations and tasks. With powerful on-board processing that was purpose-built for augmented reality computing, the X2s come ready out-of-the-box for every industrial use case.
- Microsoft Pix: Microsoft Pix is an AI-powered camera app that can take amazing photos with no manual effort. It takes multiple shots of a scene and then combines them into one image that is enhanced with AI technology.
- IBM Watson: IBM Watson is an AI-powered platform that can analyze data and natural language to provide insights and automated solutions to complex problems. It is used by enterprises and organizations in many industries, such as healthcare, finance, education, and more. Watson can help with natural language processing, cognitive computing, data analysis, and machine learning. It can be used to help make decisions, detect patterns, and uncover insights in large volumes of data.
The most exciting areas of AI and AR to watch out for in 2022 include Natural Language Processing (NLP), Machine Learning (ML), Augmented Reality (AR), and Robotic Process Automation (RPA).
NLP is a growing field in AI and is used in many applications such as chatbots, voice recognition and search engines. ML is being used to create smarter machine learning algorithms and predictive models. AR is becoming increasingly important for the development of virtual and augmented reality applications. RPA is being used to automate mundane tasks, allowing businesses to become more efficient. All of these technologies are expected to have a major impact on businesses in 2022 and beyond.